Beyond the LMS: Using Free Digital Learning and Teaching Tools in the COVID Age
Even before the COVID-19 Pandemic changed the way higher education delivered instruction, EDUCAUSE’s 2019 Horizon Report stated that a significant development in higher education would be increased mobile learning. In March 2020, we all became mobile educators and learners, with the expectation that faculty members engage students in virtual environments as rich in relevant and meaningful experiences as are available in face-to-face classrooms.
In an era in which all faculty members should all be prepared to teach in a virtual environment, we need tools to effectively and efficiently instruct, monitor, motivate, captivate, and assess our students beyond what our LMS may provide.
The purpose of this two-part workshop is to expose faculty members to websites and apps that can be used to increase student engagement and achievement in virtual and face-to-face classrooms.
- Using text messaging apps to communicate with students on a regular basis.
- Assessing student comprehension of interactive online lecture material.
- Creating video tutorials, with assessment questions embedded within those self-made videos.
- Communicating with students using visual discussion boards.
- Providing students with the ability to create their own videos that demonstrate mastery of course topics.
- Engaging with students via online scavenger hunts related to course learning outcomes.
Workshop participants are able to contact the facilitator following the conclusion of each module for assistance and coaching as they design their creations.