The annual Scott Wright Student Essay Contest is in honor of Scott Wright (July 27, 1964 - June 08, 2003), past editor of Community College Week, recipient of the 1998 Award for Excellence in Higher Education Journalism, and the reporter who brought national attention to developmental education and the unique mission community colleges possess in providing an accessible education.
Student authors are asked to describe a faculty member, staff member, or administrator who encouraged them to complete a course, finish a semester, or graduate from college and how that encouragement helped them reach their goal(s) in a 500-word (or less) essay. Only students currently enrolled at NISOD member colleges are eligible.
- Three (3) winning student authors will each receive a $1,000 check.
- Each winning student author will receive a complimentary conference registration to the 2020 International Conference on Teaching and Leadership Excellence (May 23-26, 2020 in Austin, Texas), a complimentary hotel room (maximum three  nights), and up to $400 towards transportation costs to the conference.
- The featured faculty members, staff members, or administrators in the winning essays will each receive a $1,000 check, a complimentary conference registration to the 2020 International Conference on Teaching and Leadership Excellence (May 23-26, 2020 in Austin, Texas), complimentary hotel room (maximum three  nights), and up to $400 towards transportation costs to the conference.
- Each winning student author’s college will receive a complimentary 2020-2021 NISOD membership (July 1, 2020 – June 30, 2021).
- The winning student essays will be published on NISOD’s website along with the photos and names of the winning student author, the featured employees, and the winning student authors’ college presidents.
Student author submissions are rated on a 60-point scale, where an individual author’s overall rating is the total between six ratings (each a value of 0 through 10) in the following categories:
A rating of 0 is described as “Poor,” 3 as “Below Average,” 5 as “Average,” 7 as “Above Average,” and 10 as “Excellent.”
- Contest opens: August 23, 2019
- Submission deadline: February 28, 2020
- Winners notified: March 13, 2020
- Winners’ photos due: April 17, 2020
- Prize and essay presentations at NISOD conference: May 24, 2020
Past Student Essay Contest Winners
Please review the Criteria and Terms before submitting your essay.