Scott Wright Student Essay Contest
The 2017 Scott Wright Student Essay Contest has now closed. (The deadline to submit was February 3, 2017.) Thank you to everyone who has submitted! We are very pleased by the outstanding range and quality, we’ve received. Submitted essays will be reviewed and notifications will be sent out on March 16, 2017.
If you have missed the deadline due to unforeseen or unavoidable circumstances, you may contact Britney Sauer to request consideration of a late submission.
Student authors are asked to describe a faculty member, staff member, or administrator who encouraged them to complete a course, finish a semester, or graduate from college, and how that encouragement helped them reach their goal(s) in a 500 words or less essay.
- Three (3) winning student authors will each receive a $1,000 check.
- Each winning student author will receive a complimentary conference registration to the 2017 International Conference on Teaching and Leadership Excellence (May 27-30 in Austin, Texas), complimentary hotel room (maximum three (3) nights), and up to $400 towards transportation costs to the conference.
- The featured faculty members, staff members, or administrators in the winning essays will each receive a $1,000 check, a complimentary conference registration to the 2017 International Conference on Teaching and Leadership Excellence (May 27-30 in Austin, Texas), complimentary hotel room (maximum three (3) nights), and up to $400 towards transportation costs conference.
- Each winning student author’s college will receive a complimentary 2017-2018 membership (July 1, 2017 – June 30, 2018).
- The winning student essays will be published on Community College Week’s and NISOD’s websites along with the photos and names of the winning student authors; the featured employees; and the winning student authors’ college presidents.
- Begin accepting submissions: August 29, 2016
- Submission deadline: February 3, 2017
- Winners notified: March 16, 2017
- Winners’ photos due: April 17, 2017
- Prize and essay presentations at NISOD conference: May 28, 2017
For Member College Liaisons – Spread the Word!
We have designed a promotional flyer you can download and post on your campus to promote the Community College Week/NISOD Scott Wright Student Essay Contest. We hope you will make information about this contest available to all faculty members, staff members, administrators, and students at your institution.
Visit FAQs or contact Britney Sauer or call (512) 471-7545 for additional information.
Past Student Essay Contest Winners: