College faculty members face many complex and interconnected struggles, such as boosting enrollment, motivating students, increasing retention rates, and instructing students who may or may not be “college-ready.” These challenges can often feel isolating. Faculty collaboration, idea sharing, and planning are key to fostering student success and overcoming challenges as a community. This workshop provides participants with experience collaborating on lesson plans and the opportunity to brainstorm and share promising practices regarding what’s working (or not) in the classroom. Participating in this workshop will help build confidence and competence in new and veteran faculty members.
By the end of this workshop, participants know or are able to:
- Observe, discuss, and critique a model lesson (templates provided).
- Create a new lesson plan and/or build upon an existing lesson plan.
- Explore various grouping structures and activities. Guidelines and norms are discussed.
- Incorporate various learning styles and methods.
- Design and share enhanced lessons.
Plans for participation and interaction:
- Class discussion and share-out.
- Peer observation and critique.
- Discipline specific and non-discipline specific group activities.
- Viewing short video clips (Do’s and Don’ts of Teaching).
- Learning style activities.
Participants can claim a digital badge and certificate upon completing the workshop and a post-workshop survey.