Millennials are not the younger generation in our classrooms; they’ve been followed by Gen Z students. Students have changed, and so must our classrooms and teaching strategies. Faculty should understand that there are differences between Gen Y and Gen Z students, and that new ways are needed to respond to, communicate with, and motivate Gen Z students. Workshop participants learn how to engage Gen Z students using free and easy-to-use educational technology tools. Participants leave this workshop with the ability to create their own instructional videos and games, study aids, and presentations that increase student motivation and participation, particularly for Gen Z students!
During the workshop, participants:
- Review current research that differentiates generational learning and communication styles.
- Review and observe at least seven different educational technology tools that are innovative, intuitive, and free.
- Learn how to create videos and other tools designed to increase students’ mastery of curriculum learning outcomes.
- Create their own accounts for educational technology tools they find most applicable to their teaching.
- Create their own videos, games, activities, and presentations based on their individual preferences.
- Review examples of their colleagues’ creations.
Participants can claim a digital badge and certificate upon completing the workshop and a post-workshop survey.